Storm Christoph

As storm Christoph batters across the UK, the BBC Met Office issuing a ‘Danger to Life’ in some parts of the country.  We wanted tor remind you of the warning signs and offer some guidance if you are affected.

As the storm continues and more rainfall is forecast for today, it is likely to cause flood issues as the water pushes down the river system.

Here is some advice on what to do if you have been affected;

What to do after a flood

Make sure it’s safe to return to your property:

Take care as there may be hidden dangers in floodwater, such as sharp objects, raised manhole covers and pollution

Flood water might have caused structural damage to your property

If your electricity supply has not been switched off at the mains, get a qualified person to do this. DO NOT touch sources of electricity when standing in flood water.

Making an insurance claim

Historically, the insurance company will send a loss adjustor to look at your property.  However, with lockdown in force this will be less likely and thus each insurer will make a decision on how best to handle a claim. They will confirm what repairs and replacements are needed and which elements are covered by your policy.

Ask your insurance company:

How long it will be before the loss adjustor visits (if appointed)

If you are to clean your property or if they will get a company to do it for you

If they will help pay for repairs that will reduce potential flood damage and therefore reduce costs if it happens again

If they will provide you with temporary accommodation – this can be a nearby B&B, static caravan or rented house. You don’t have to accept the first place you are offered.

Always make your own record of flood damage:

Use a permanent in pen to mark on the wall the height the flood water got to. Do this in every room affected by flooding.

Photograph or video your damaged property and list the damage to your property and belongings.

If your insurance company covers you for loss of perishable goods, make a list of all the foods you throw away. Include any food touched by flood water and anything in your fridge or freezer ruined by loss of power.

Top tips:

Confirm with the insurance company what they will pay for any services or equipment you need

Make a note of all telephone calls, record the date, name of who you spoke to and what was agreed

Keep copies of letters and emails you send and receive

Keep receipts

Don’t throw anything away until told to do so (except ruined food)

If you rent your property, contact your landlord and your contents insurance company as soon as possible.

If you do not have insurance, your local council should be able to provide information on hardship grants or charities that may be able to help you.

If you need more help and support contact:

Flood Re – they make flood cover more widely available and affordable as part of your home insurance

British Insurance Broker’s Association

Association of British Insurers

Caleb Roberts Insurance remain on hand to help you where required.  Please contact your local office for tailored advice on your individual situation.